Bear Awareness Online
This online course provides information that will prepare you to handle situations that you may encounter when working, hunting, camping, or travelling in bear country. In addition to teaching you about the general characteristics and habits of bears, you will learn how to recognize and react to both defensive and non-defensive attacks to ensure you make it home unharmed.
- Differences between grizzly and black bears
- General characteristics
- Bear behaviour and body language
- Signs of agitation
- Distribution of bear populations
- Food sources
- Hunting, camping, and travelling safely in bear country
- How to store food in a campsite
- Avoiding a bear encounter
- Recognizing and reacting to defensive and non-defensive attacks
- When and how to play dead
- Using and handling bear spray
- Bear bangers
Approximately 60 minutes
Testing conducted in this online Bear Awareness course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to receive a certificate of completion. Users are able to repeat the course twice if the pass mark is not achieved.
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.
This course was created using standards that will allow playback on most internet capable devices with standard web browsing capabilities including Apple’s iTouch, iPad, and iPhone, as well as most other smart phones and tablets including those with Android and Windows operating systems.
This online course provides essential information for people working, hunting, camping, or travelling in bear country.